The inaugural Nocturne took place in 2007 on the London streets around the historic Smithfield Market. The event attracted over 5000 spectators and was recognised for its innovation, receiving a Visit London Sports Tourism Award.
The London Nocturne is now an established highlight of London’s events calendar and in 2016 the event moved to a new high profile City location and was televised live on Eurosport International.
The event attracts the leading British pro teams as well as World Tour star riders with past appearances from Mark Cavendish, David Millar and Geraint Thomas. Other celebrity guests have included Sir Paul Smith, Geoff Banks, Pierre Koffman, Jody Scheckter and Sir Chris Hoy.
The success of the Nocturne has been driven by the unique format:
- Held in the evening with the finale after night fall
- Diverse race programme, leading up to the Elite Criterium
- The race circuit has an F1 feel with hospitality, pit area and big screens
- Involvement from local businesses and other attractions creates a festival around the racing
- Feature races appeal to beyond the cycling audience and have included ‘Le Mans’ start Folding Bike Race, Fixed Gear Longest Skid competition, Penny Farthing Racing and Corporate Team Challenge
In 2017 a new partnership with Rapha will see the creation of the Rapha Nocturne Series as we aim to take the event to some of the world's most iconic cities - read the full story.